Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Babylon 5: The Sound of the Future

In my recent post on Arrow, I made mention of the good job Blake Neely did making the show's music unique and memorable.

This was on my mind while continuing my run through of Babylon 5 and I realized I hadn't mentioned Christopher Franke's excellent work on the show.

Franke's music is like nothing else on television before or since. In fact, the music was so integral to the show that when Call to Arms, the prequel movie that launched the Crusade spin-off, aired and didn't have Franke's music behind it, the whole thing felt off. It was like a well made fan film rather than a true part of the Babylon 5 cannon.

I highly recommend you take a listen for yourself or better yet go watch the show.

Here's a taste:


2 comments:

  1. When I was younger I used to put the Babylon 5 soundtrack on loop. I remember it also blew my mind to learn that Christopher Franke was the composer for the anime film "Tenchi Muyo in Love"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that! He's had a long history in television and film.

      Delete