Thursday, September 28, 2017

Firefly: the "Lost Episodes"



Finishing someone else's work is hard, especially in any artistic medium. When it's done well, you get something like Brandon Sanderson's work finishing up The Wheel of Time series.

In that case, characters have the same names and voices, but the world is subtly different. I always describe it to prospective readers as the same picture painted by two different artists in the same school. The landscape, figures, and perspective are all the same, but Sanderson's color palette is brighter than Robert Jordan's. If you placed them side by side, you can tell the difference immediately, but you can see the same spirit in both.

Blogger Nate Winchester has introduced me to something similar with Firefly: the Lost Episodes.

Let me stop right here and deflate the hope balloon. These are not planned production episodes for a revival of the much mourned Joss Whedon series. These are fan creations, and unauthorized at that.

But they're very good. Go read the first script (episode 116- "The Big Stick") and tell me you can't visualize EXACTLY how that would look and sound.

I'm not a huge proponent of fan-fiction in general (I think you should make your own characters and worlds), but this will undoubtedly be the closest I get to hours of television viewing I wouldn't have otherwise had.

Definitely recommended.




No comments:

Post a Comment