Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Babylon 5 is What Sci-Fi is Missing (or My Yearly Pilgrimage to a Place That Doesn't Exist)



When I ask people about their favorite science fiction shows, I see a lot of wistful looks for one show in particular. People get angry or depressed, or angry and then depressed, and go on and on for hours about how they wish they could go back and watch it again for the first time. The halls of the internet echo with complaints that there just isn't more.

Of course they're talking about Firefly.

When I ask them if they've watch other sci-fi shows, the usual grab bag of geek pop culture shows up: Star Trek, Star Wars, Dr. Who, etc.

Almost never mentioned is my favorite show, Babylon 5. I consider this show to be one of the best space operas of all time.

I'm honestly not sure why it doesn't get more credit. The show has everything you could want: epic space battles (with some actual tactics; missile interceptors and capital ships say what?), mysterious alien races, ancient prophesies, political intrigue, romance, loss, redemption, telepaths, sword fights, and time travel.

And it does something almost no show ever gets to do: it told a complete story, with a definite beginning, middle, and end. (DS9 is the closest thing I've ever seen to it, and it ran too long and ended up with too many filler episodes.)

This past week, I began my yearly re-watch through Babylon 5. As I go through the seasons, I want to post some thoughts about why I enjoy the show so much and maybe shed a little light on a quiet classic of television.

 I'll start tomorrow with the biggest advantage Babylon 5 has over almost anything else on television today: hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment